When we started planning Remy's first birthday, we didn't know which direction to go for a theme. I knew I wanted one, but not too commercialized, or one that he would want down the road, and started asking for help to come up with a theme. One day, I was talking to a co-worker, and she said I just needed to come up with something that Remy really liked. My first thought was "boobs" and briefly considered a "Last Hurrah at Hooters" theme for his first birthday, but passed. Wings aren't for babies. The next best thing was Cheerios. He loves them (them being the Hy-Vee version)! And down that road we went.
After browsing Etsy and Pinterest, we mashed some ideas together and created these invitations that were printed locally.
- Skip offering a meal, and offer snacks (we were really lucky and our family all offered to provide dishes
- Make the cupcakes and smash cake with a doctored up cake mix (I made a practice batch to perfect them)
- Make my own Cheerio banner ( I bought a cheap plastic banner and used cutouts from a Cheerios box to replace every other pennant)
- Hang pictures of my son on twine to make a banner display of his 12 months
- Hacked the basic yellow birthday hat with ribbon and a #1