Breakfast: Still loving the almond milk and coffee!!
Lunch: I had leftover soyrizo pasta yum! It was even better today!
Dinner: I wanted a substitute for our red beans and rice and I found this gem on allecipes (dot commmmm). It had fantastic ratings 4.5/ 5 stars and 2800 reviews... so I knew it had to be good! It says it serves 10 but that would be as a side dish. This served two of us (with a bit extra) happily. I'd definitely double it for a family of 4. Here are the changes I made to the recipe:
nutrition: 382 calories/ serving, 4 g fat, 20 g Fiber, 19 g Protein, 1200 mg Sodium
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked pearled (or regular) quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- hot sauce (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro. Serve with hot sauce (optional - but recommended!)
My review: It is VERY filling! I agree with my husband though who said, "You know what would make this better? Cheese!" It was good but it could use a little something something if you know what I mean. Still, a very satisfying meal!
Tomorrow should be interesting because I have a lunch meeting and they are catering in. They do not know about my week of veganism so here's to hoping I can eat something!