Something I've been looking at for a while now are some awesome holiday pillows for my grey couch. I don't want it to look too "Christmassy" because I want to keep it up throughout the winter months. So off to designing my own I went.... and here's what I ended up with. It cost less than $15 for 2 awesome pillows that look like I bought them in the store!
Here's the supply list:
- 1-yard of Home Decor Solid Fabric-Patriot Cherry (or other high-quality fabric)
- Three buttons (I used Blum Lamode Core Gunmetal - 1inch.)
- A sewing machine with a regular and 'button hole' foot.
- Cutting utensils ( I used the fiskar rotary cutter)
- Measuring utensil - here's where my engineer and corner cutter came out. I actually used a framing square to mark my measurements and put the fabric on a cutting mat and pushed the fiskars rotary on it. - worked like a CHARM! (bottom picture)
Here's the cut list for an 18" pillow:
1. 1 square 19" by 19" cut
2. 1 19" by 10" cut
3. 1 19" by 12" cut
You can vary 2 and 3 if you want to 'move' where the button holes are. I tend to like mine NOT in the center...
Next, iron the pillow and sew a 1/2 inch inseam to hold the flap down. Repeat for both rectanges
Next, flip it right size out and sew on your buttons! Voila you're done. Here are some shots of mine. You'll notice that I made 2 pillows out of 1 yard of fabric. I also varied the location of the buttons for some flare.
Let me know how your pillow making comes out!