Italian Bread Recipe or use freezer or refrigerated bread dough (I use Pillsbury's french bread dough sometimes)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 t. salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 t active dry yeast
To make the bread dough:
- Place all ingredients in bread maker, select the dough cycle and wait :).
For the Runza filling, I did a variation of something I found here.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown Beef and Cabbage in large skillet.
- Add seasonings
Next comes the assembly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- 2. Divide dough into 8 equal sized balls
- 3. Roll out dough to form a rectagle (about 4" by 7")
- Place a spoonful of the beef/ cabbage mixture onto the center of each dough square.
- Sprinkle cheese on top
- Fold over the two 'long' sides and pinch together
- Pinch the ends of the dough closed.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!!
Often 8 runzas are too much for just me and my hubby. So, what I do is take half the batch and stick em' in the freezer in a freezer safe bag. They freeze great and all you have to do is thaw them before you put them in the oven :).
The Runzas are not only delicious, but they take away some of my home sickness :).
Let me know what you think - this is always a big hit in my house!